Oversee/assist with all aspects of the tax planning, preparation and review process with a concentration on partnership tax engagements. Individual will also oversee/assist with all miscellaneous tax projects and conduct complex tax research to support the client’s tax compliance and reporting. Perform review of all tax workpapers and returns and ensure that all review comments are cleared prior to filing. Maintain client relationships and assist firm leadership in identifying new work and assist in obtaining new engagements.
- Oversee all aspects of tax engagements including tax planning, preparation and review of primarily partnership, some individual income tax returns and other tax returns as appropriate.
- Primarily prepare complex partnership and some individual income tax returns and perform necessary tax planning and research.
- Supervise and review all related work of seniors, staff, and interns on assigned client engagements.
- Responsible for supervising, mentoring training and supporting development of seniors, staff and interns.
- Communicate status of work, problems, and findings to both internal GBQ management and clients.
- Collaborate with firm leaders, other departments and client leadership to identify issues and develop and implement solutions to address issues identified.
- Review engagement profitability and prepare and analyze monthly billing for assigned engagements.
- Develop and deliver executive presentations, summaries of financial information and lead client and internal meetings.
Work Experience and Education:
- BA or BS in accounting or a related field.
- Must be a CPA.
- Significant experience in partnership tax compliance and consulting.
- Experience with partnership structuring, entity formation and mergers & acquisitions is preferred.
- Advanced understanding related to the tax aspects of partnership agreements, contributions of appreciated property related to 704(c), 704(b) capital accounts, special allocations and overall experience in dealing with Subchapter K – Partnership Taxation.
- Understanding of pass-through entity taxation at various state and local levels.
- Experience and understanding of individual income taxation as a result of partnership pass-through income.
- Background in Real Estate taxation a plus.
- Strong proficiency in partnership federal, state and local tax issues.
- Strong proficiency with tax research software packages and strong working knowledge of federal tax code and regulations.
- Experience ranging in 3 – 10 years plus in this area.
Focus on four major initiatives established by the Firm: Profitability, Practice Growth; Client Focus; and Brand Culture/Development.
- Monitor the hours incurred by engagement team members and the progress of assigned client engagements to ensure work is completed within both a defined budget and a defined timeline.
- Achieve charge hour budget and meet hour expectations established by Firm.
- Monitor staff charge budgets to ensure staff and seniors achieve charge hour budgets and hour expectations established by firm.
- Prioritize and manage multiple engagements and tasks.
- Participate in and lead “approved” non-client initiatives to improve firm administration.
- Assist in establishing and implementing policies that improve department efficiencies.
- Consistently utilize all firm and department software efficiently.
- Represent firm and build relationships by attending fundraisers, meetings with prospects/bankers, charitable events, professional organizations, etc.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills while completing client work and firm-related projects.
- Identify opportunities to obtain new engagements and assist firm leadership in securing new clients and engagements.
- Participate in and lead public speaking engagements and presentations.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills and working knowledge of accounting and tax software.
- Demonstrate ability to identify client risks and issues and communicate recommendations to clients and Firm associates.
- Exhibit behavior consistent with rules of conduct of the AICPA, OSCPA and Accountancy Board of Ohio.
- Coordinate and collaborate with team, other firm associates and client personnel to ensure efficient flow of data, information, and financial issues, risks and recommendations.
- Identify and present financial improvement opportunities for clients served.
- Demonstrate appropriate understanding of client’s business, industry and resources available to provide value to clients.
- Identify complex issues and perform complex technical research to make recommendations to firm and client leadership.
- Exemplify Brand Attributes of the Firm and promote positive work environment for team members.
- Support and ensure adherence to all administrative policies and procedures of the Firm.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently or in a team environment and exhibit confidence addressing and resolving conflict with peers, subordinates and firm leaders.
- Consistently seek feedback on performance from superiors and enhance and develop individual professional and technical skills.
- Prepare and deliver objective and candid performance evaluations to direct reports and identify coaching and mentoring opportunities to assist in development of associates.
- Individual will report directly to a Performance Manager who will provide any necessary guidance relative to administrative issues or work performance through the formal evaluation process.
- Responsible for the co-management and supervision of the Tax Department staff numbering more than 35 people.
- Reliable transportation for occasional on-site client work.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends based on time of year and client demands.