The role of the Staff Accountant is to support clients in a variety of accounting projects, which would include performing general accounting, month-end close functions, preparing financial statements, and performing other special accounting projects as needed. The Accounting Services Staff Accountant focuses on four major initiatives established by the Firm: Profitability, Practice Growth; Client Focus; and Brand Culture/Development.
- General accounting services including bank reconciliation, accounts receivable/payable, monthly close process, and compiling financial statements.
- Knowledge of accrual accounting.
- Prepare financial and operational consulting reports.
- Prepare sales tax, use tax, commercial activity tax (CAT), and payroll tax returns.
- Train and assist clients with bookkeeping tasks in various accounting software including QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online.
- Ability to perform assigned client engagements within both a defined budget and a defined timeline.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects.
- Ability to utilize and leverage technology efficiently.
- Identify opportunities to represent firm and build relationships by attending special events and meetings.
- Develop networking and other practice development skills.
- Ability to identify special projects and/or internal firm initiatives that will provide opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- Develop strong analytical skills and a deep knowledge of technical concepts.
- Develop judgment to identify and mitigate risks.
- Coordinate and collaborate with direct supervisor on a frequent basis, to ensure efficient flow of information relative to client engagements.
- Demonstrate the importance of learning and understanding the client’s business, industry and resources available to provide value to clients.
- Exemplify Brand Attributes of the Firm and promote a positive work environment.
- Support and ensure adherence to all administrative policies and procedures of the Firm.
- Exhibit the ability to work independently, having confidence in his/her ability to address and resolve conflict with peers, subordinates, and firm leaders.
- Consistently seek feedback on performance from superiors to enhance and develop professional and technical skills.
Work Experience and Education:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience and/or 3+ years of experience as a successful bookkeeper or accountant.
- Proficiency in the use of QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, and Microsoft Office products including Excel and Word. Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor preferred but not required.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage a number of projects at once.
- Confidence to work with a variety of clients (internal and external).
- Ability to work well independently and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Will report directly to a Performance Manager who will provide any necessary guidance relative to work performance through the formal evaluation process.
- Reliable transportation for occasional on-site client work required.