The State and Local Tax Senior actively participates and in many cases oversees the completion of a docket of state and local tax projects for clients in various industries. They must possess good client relationship skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with team members and be self-sufficient in the management of concurrent projects. The individual will possess knowledge of Ohio tax law in all areas, preference for multistate income/franchise tax. There is a focus on four major initiatives established by the Firm: Profitability; Practice Growth; Client Focus; and Brand Culture/Development.
- Manage and prioritize state and local tax workload.
- Supervise and review work of other team members on assigned client engagements.
- Complete technical client work.
- Perform technical tax research.
- Accurately analyze data and information to assist in developing recommendations and guidance.
- Consult and communicate with department leaders and client personnel to complete engagements.
- Research and draft summaries of state tax legislation to communicate in-house and to clients.
- Complete engagements within established budget and monitor and report the actual hours incurred compared to the budget and progress of assigned client engagements.
- Achieve charge hour budget and meet hour expectations established by Firm.
- Participate in “approved” non-client initiatives to improve firm administration.
- Consistently utilize all firm and department software efficiently.
- Complete and ensure completion of accurate, neat, organized research and work papers that are free of errors.
- Represent firm and build relationships by attending fundraisers, meetings with prospects/bankers, charitable events, professional organizations, etc.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills while working on client work and firm-related projects.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills, judgment, and working knowledge of accounting and tax software.
- Lead client and team interaction to help ensure efficient flow of information between the team, other members of the firm, and client personnel.
- Identify performance improvement opportunities for clients served.
- Comprehend new, complex tax issues and perform research to solve complex problems.
- Ability to work independently and complete assignments in a timely and accurate manner.
- Willing to work hours as needed to meet client deadlines.
- Exemplify Brand Attributes of the Firm.
- Adhere to and ensure compliance with all administrative policies and procedures of the Firm.
- Demonstrate ability to work individually or in a team environment and address conflict with peers and subordinates.
- Consistently seek feedback on performance from superiors and enhance and develop individual professional and technical skills.
- Provide timely feedback to direct reports and identify coaching and mentoring opportunities to assist in the development of the associate.
Work Experience and Education:
- BA or BS in accounting or a related field.
- CPA certification or legal license required.
- Strong proficiency in the use of technology and basic PC applications (Excel, Word).
- Approximately 2-3 years of experience in state and local tax. Preparation and/or review experience of state income and franchise tax returns preferred.
- Individual will report directly to a Performance Manager who will provide any necessary guidance relative to administrative issues or work performance through the formal evaluation process.
- May supervise interns and staff members on client engagements.
- May perform roles of performance manager for interns and staff members.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends based on time of year and client demands.