The Tax Operations Manager will be primarily responsible for the tax department scheduling function. This individual will be responsible for monitoring the allocation and utilization of resources, ensuring those resources are aligned with department needs, analyzing department results, and promoting the overall success of the tax practice. The Tax Operations Manager focuses on four major initiatives established by the Firm: Profitability, Practice Growth; Client Focus; and Brand Culture/Development.
- Develop and implement effective staffing strategies that maximize utilization and minimizes unassigned staff time.
- Update and maintain the tax department staff schedule.
- Promote and monitor sharing of resources within the Line of Business and across all offices within the firm.
- Have a complete understanding of the staffing needs on projects, organize staffing meetings, and take the lead in resolving staffing conflicts.
- Analyze scheduled projects compared to historical results and reconcile staff schedule to budgets.
- Review availability, utilization and total hours on a monthly basis, identify workload balance issues and provide recommendations to management to correct the imbalance.
- Hold tax team accountable on timing and help improve client experience.
- Manage data including, but not limited to, scheduling workflow management data.
- Prepare monthly projections of headcount and chargeable hours through utilization of applicable software and other pertinent data.
- Provide operational support to tax management through the preparation and review of monthly reports outlining actual hours, utilization and other operational measures.
- Identify trends to proactively balance workloads while increasing utilization.
Monitor productivity, conflicts, leverage, availability, travel and non-charge hours.
- Develop, administer and/or participate in scheduling system & process assimilation and orientation programs for incoming hires.
- Serve as a liaison between tax management and HR to assist, identify, and resolve department hiring needs.
- Work with the Administrative team to monitor/track the workflow of the tax department.
- Assist in the management/oversight of outsourced resources engaged to execute tax projects.
- Assist in developing and monitoring CPE plan for professional staff, including developing the annual staff training plan.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to perform assigned projects within a defined timeline.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously while delivering exceptional results.
- Ability to utilize all applicable department software efficiently.
- Develop strong analytical skills and deep knowledge of technical concepts.
- Develop judgment to identify and mitigate risks.
- Coordinate and collaborate with direct supervisor on a frequent basis, to ensure efficient flow of information relative to assignments.
- Develop strong working relationships with tax members, managers and staff.
- Exemplifies Brand Attributes of the firm.
- Support and ensure adherence to all administrative policies and procedures of the Firm.
- Exhibit ability to work independently, having confidence in his/her ability to address and resolve conflict with peers, subordinates and firm leaders.
- Enhances firm collaboration through interactions with associates from other departments.
- Consistently seek feedback on performance from superiors to enhance and develop professional and technical skills.
Work Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field.
- Strong analytical, organizational and project management skills with attention to detail.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Proven client service focus, with an ability to resolve issues quickly, with a sense of urgency.
- Strong relationship building, coaching, and employee development skills.
- Outgoing personality and ability to present topics and run meetings in front of management levels, as well as staff levels.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, specifically Word and Excel.
- Ability to adapt to new software programs.
- 2 or more years in a professional services firm as an external client server or resource management professional.
- Ability to travel periodically, as needed (less than 10%).
- Will report directly to Tax Management who will provide any necessary guidance relative to work performance through the formal evaluation process.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends based on time of year and client demands.