William R. Ernst, CPA, CVA
Managing Director, Cincinnati
Prior to joining GBQ in 2016, Bill was CEO and co-founder of Ernst & Rabe, Inc.
Bill began his career with the State of Ohio Department of Taxation as a Tax Auditor and spent four years with Ernst & Young before founding Ernst & Rabe, Inc. in 1979.
Bill provides tax, financial, management advice, and valuation services to family-owned businesses, individuals, trusts, and estates. From selecting the business entity in which to work, to preparing the business for sale, Bill has over 35 years of experience helping family-owned businesses grow using effective financial and tax management.
Bill has a great deal of experience representing clients in tax disputes with taxing authorities. He has appealed cases to the City of Cincinnati Board of Appeals, the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals, the Appellate Division of the IRS, and the U.S. Tax Court.
Bill has been active in the Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants, serving as a State Director. He is a past President of the Cincinnati Chapter of the Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants and Chairman of The Taxation Committee.
Bill was involved for 27 years in the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce, CEO Roundtable program, including one term as President and a past member of the Steering Committee of the Cincinnati Institute for Small Enterprise.
He was the co-founder and served ten years in the Family Business Service Group and participated for six years in VISTAGE, a peer advisory group for small business owners.
In addition, Bill is active in the community having served ten years as Chairman of the Finance Committee of St. Mary Parish. He previously served as the President of the Athletic Booster Board for St. Xavier High School and is currently a Board Member and Treasurer of Maketewah Country Club.
- The University of Cincinnati – B.S., Business Administration, Accounting
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants, Past Board Member
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- “Building the Money Machine – How to Turn Your Business into a Cash Cow”; Northern Kentucky Home Builders Association
- “Analyzing Financial Statements for Business Owners”; CEO Roundtable of the Chamber of Commerce of Cincinnati
- “Fixed Asset Management”; Cincinnati Chapter of the American Banking Association