The Qualified Opportunity Zones program provides three signature tax benefits for investors:
- Temporary deferral of taxes on previously earned capital gains. Investors can place existing assets with accumulated capital gains into Opportunity Funds. Those existing capital gains are not taxed until the end of 2026 or when the asset is disposed of.
- Basis step-up of previously earned capital gains invested. For capital gains placed in Opportunity Funds for at least five years, investors’ basis on the original investment increases by 10 percent. If invested for at least seven years, investors’ basis on the original investment increases by 15 percent.
- Permanent exclusion of taxable income on new gains. For investments held for at least 10 years, investors pay no taxes on any capital gains produced through their investment in Opportunity Funds.
As you navigate through a Qualified Opportunity Zone investment, it’s important that you not only realize your tax benefits but also how your taxes should be prepared as part of these zones.
- Federal, state and local tax preparation
- Tax planning and tax strategy advisory services
- Representation before the IRS and other taxing authorities
- Tax research