The Perks of Busy Season
April 24th, 2013 by Associate
Now that another busy season has come and gone and we’ve all seemed to survive, I think we need to take some time to reflect on another year marked in the books. Even though accountants everywhere cringe when they hear the words “busy season”, it could be time to realize that maybe, just maybe, busy season isn’t so bad. In fact, busy season can be a good thing, especially for those of us lucky enough to work at GBQ. Here’s why:
- No traffic – When you are the first one to go to the office and the last one to leave, there isn’t anyone else left on the road to slow your commute!
- Free food – Those at the top recognize that we are putting in long and sometimes late-night hours, so to compensate, they feed us pizza, Chick-fil-A, Max & Erma’s, ice cream and more pizza. Need I say more?
- No TV – Since you don’t have much extra time to watch TV, you don’t have to worry about it rotting your brain.
- Happy Hours – Appetizers and ice cold beverages are always a great cap off the end of a long week and a much needed reprieve from number crunching. Since we host a few here at GBQ, it can also be a great opportunity to get to know our clients outside of the work environment.
- Accounting Olympics – Events included a Crock Pot Challenge, Gatorade Flip Cup, a hot dog eating contest and a relay race capped off by a 10-key competition.
- Our Clients – When and where else do you get an opportunity to interact with so many interesting and unique businesses and personnel on a weekly basis?
Although I may not be crossing off the squares on my calendar, counting down the days to the next busy season, at least I now have a few excuses to keep the panic from setting in. And in the meantime, I’ll be honing my 10-key skills until next year’s competition.
*Thank you to Kyle Culver, Assurance Senior, for his contributions to this post.