Joseph Borowski, CFA
Mr. Borowski is a Director in the Valuation and Financial Opinion Services practice of GBQ Consulting LLC, and a partner of GBQ. Mr. Borowski’s practice focuses on assisting business owners with ownership transition planning and execution, with specialties in valuation advisory and ESOP advisory.
Valuation Advisory Experience
Mr. Borowski’s 15+ years of experience include 1,500+ valuation engagements involving businesses and business interests of privately held and publicly traded companies nationwide and internationally. Mr. Borowski’s primary areas of expertise include ESOP advisory, mergers and acquisitions, shareholder transactions, ownership transition planning, estate and gift taxation, fairness opinions, fair value measurements (e.g., purchase price allocations, goodwill impairment testing, equity-based compensation), going-private transactions, bankruptcies and reorganizations, buy-sell agreements, restricted stock opinions, pre-IPO planning, shareholder disputes, and other tax, litigation, and corporate-related matters.
Mr. Borowski is dedicated to educating the community on various valuation topics through frequent writing and as a speaker at conferences, educational institutions, and in-house seminars.
ESOP Advisory Experience
Mr. Borowski has been involved in hundreds of ESOP advisory and valuation engagements, and 50+ ESOP transactions. ESOP services provided include ESOP feasibility studies, initial ESOP valuations, ESOP implementation consulting, transaction advisory and structuring (company-side and trustee-side representation), annual ESOP valuations, fairness and solvency opinions, ESOP valuation report reviews, ESOP dispute consulting and advisory and ESOP trustee advisory.
Mr. Borowski has been active in the ESOP community for years and is a frequent speaker at national, regional, and local ESOP conferences for the ESOP Association and other employee ownership-specific organizations.
Mr. Borowski is active in several professional and community organizations, currently serving on the board of directors for the Columbus chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) and on the Central Ohio Regional Advisory Board for Make-A-Wish of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
Prior to joining GBQ, Mr. Borowski served in the operations department of Morgan Stanley Credit Corporation, the mortgage lending unit of the international financial services company.
- Miami University (OH) – B.S., Business Economics
- CFA – Chartered Financial Analyst
Associations and Memberships
- CFA Institute
- CFA Society of Columbus
- The ESOP Association
- National Association for Employee Ownership
- Association for Corporate Growth (Board Member)
- Leadership Columbus (Class of 2017)
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center
- “Caring for Your Infant ESOP”; Ohio Employee Ownership Center; Webinar; August 2020
- “ESOPs and Contractors: A Savvy Business Succession Strategy”; BDO Alliance USA Conference; Webinar; May 2020
- “Estate and Business Succession Planning”; Wendy’s Franchisee Association; Webinar; May 2020
- “How to Prepare Better Projections”; ESOP Association; Indianapolis, IN; March 2020
- “Assessing the Feasibility of an ESOP”; GBQ; Columbus, OH; October 2019
- “Ownership Transition, ESOPs & Next Gen: The Future of Your AE Firm”; GBQ; Columbus, OH; August 2019
- “Parenting an ESOP Company Through its Stages of Life”; ESOP Association; Lansing, MI; April 2019
- “Think Like an Investor: A Discussion of Options to Monetize the Value of Your Business”; GBQ; Columbus, OH; March 2019
- “Tax Reform Roundtable”; ESOP Association; Sandusky, OH; October 2018
- “Potential Impacts of Tax Reform on ESOP Companies”; ESOP Association; Lexington, KY; August 2018
- “Identifying Ownership Transition Options in the Contracting Industry”; GBQ; Columbus, OH; February 2018
- “Fundamentals of ESOP Repurchase Obligation”; ESOP Association; Sandusky, OH; October 2017
- “ESOPs: The Basics + Recent Developments”; Worthington Estate Planning Council; Worthington, OH; August 2017
- “Sharing Business Information to Engage Employee Owners”; ESOP Association; Lansing, MI; April 2017
- “Valuation: The Cornerstone of an M&A Transaction”; OSU Moritz College of Law; Columbus, OH; December 2016
- “Put Your Valuation Knowledge to the Test”; ESOP Association; Louisville, KY; August 2016
- “Getting Your ESOP Off to a Good Start”; ESOP Association; Louisville, KY; June 2015
- “Managing Your Benefit Levels and Repurchase Obligation”; ESOP Association; Indianapolis, IN; March 2015