Joseph Borowski, CFA
Director, Valuation & Financial Opinion Services
(614) 947-5213 – Columbus
(317) 423-0150 – Indianapolis
Mr. Borowski is a Director in the Valuation and Financial Opinions department of GBQ Consulting LLC, and a partner of GBQ. He has performed or contributed to over 1,200 valuation assignments since joining GBQ in 2005, for purposes that include: estate and gift taxation, Employee Stock Ownership Plans, purchase price allocation in accordance with ASC 805, goodwill impairment testing in accordance with ASC 350, C-Corporation to S-Corporation conversions, litigation support, fairness and solvency opinions, divorce proceedings, mergers and acquisitions, segment spin-offs, buy-sell agreements and other shareholder transactions, and promissory notes. In addition to business valuation engagements, Mr. Borowski provides ESOP and transaction advisory consulting services, such as ESOP feasibility studies and deal “quarterbacking” for ESOP formations.
Mr. Borowski’s experience includes business appraisals of entities in numerous industries, including industrial manufacturing, wholesale/distribution, fabrication, retail, construction, healthcare services, computer software, insurance, advertising/marketing, engineering/architecture, professional services, technology, food service, and holding company/estate planning vehicles.
Mr. Borowski is a frequent speaker at ESOP Association conferences, as well as at various other professional organizations, educational institutions, and in-house seminars.
Mr. Borowski is active in several professional and community organizations, currently serving on the board of directors for the Columbus chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) and on the Central Ohio Regional Advisory Board for Make-A-Wish of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
Prior to joining GBQ, Mr. Borowski served in the operations department of Morgan Stanley Credit Corporation, the mortgage-lending unit of the international financial services company.
- Miami University (OH) – B.S., Business Economics
- CFA – Chartered Financial Analyst
Associations and Memberships
- CFA Institute
- CFA Society of Columbus
- The ESOP Association
- Association for Corporate Growth (Board Member)
- Leadership Columbus (Class of 2017)
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center
Select Speaking Engagements
- “Tax Reform Roundtable”; ESOP Association; Sandusky, OH; October 2018
- “Potential Impacts of Tax Reform on ESOP Companies”; ESOP Association; Lexington, KY; August 2018
- “Identifying Ownership Transition Options in the Contracting Industry”; GBQ, Columbus, OH; February 2018
- “Fundamentals of ESOP Repurchase Obligation”; ESOP Association; Sandusky, OH; October 2017
- “ESOPs: The Basics + Recent Developments”; Worthington Estate Planning Council; Worthington, OH; August 2017
- “Sharing Business Information to Engage Employee Owners”; ESOP Association; Lansing, MI; April 2017
- “Valuation: The Cornerstone of an M&A Transaction”; OSU Moritz College of Law; Columbus, OH; December 2016
- “Put Your Valuation Knowledge to the Test”; ESOP Association; Louisville, KY; August 2016
- “Getting Your ESOP Off to a Good Start”; ESOP Association; Louisville, KY; June 2015
- “Managing Your Benefit Levels and Repurchase Obligation”; ESOP Association; Indianapolis, IN; March 2015