Kaz Unalan, CPA, CEPA
Kaz began his career in public accounting with GBQ in 1999. Over the years, he has had extensive experience serving clients in the real estate, construction, manufacturing & distribution, and restaurant industries. He also has significant experience providing tax compliance and consulting to high-net-worth individuals.
Kaz co-leads GBQ’s national restaurant industry practice. He has significant experience working with many of the nation’s fastest-growing restaurants and most well-respected brands across all segments of the industry, including franchisors, franchisees, independents, emerging brands, startups, and mature concepts. His main focus has been providing tax and consulting services for privately held restaurants. In addition to traditional tax services, he consults with restaurants on succession planning, mergers & acquisitions, tax credits and incentives and corporate structure.
Kaz is also a Certified Exit Planning Advisor, which helps business owners transition ownership of their companies while achieving their personal, business and financial goals. In this role, he is part of GBQ’s Transaction Advisory Services Group assisting clients with their tax planning, structuring and due diligence needs.
Kaz is a member of the Mirolo Foundation Audit Committee, a past Board Member of Columbus Landmarks Foundation, a past Treasurer of the Young Buckeyes of Central Ohio Alumni Club, a past Treasurer for the Ohio League of Conservation Voters, and a current board member of Habitat for Humanity Mid-Ohio.
In 2012, Kaz was recognized by Columbus Business First as one of Columbus’ Forty Under Forty. Kaz is also a 2013 graduate of Leadership Columbus.
- The Ohio State University – B.S., Business Administration, Accounting
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Exit Planning Institute
- The Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Ohio Restaurant Association
- National Restaurant Association
- January 2022 – Restaurant Taxation: Calculating Tips and FICA Tip Credit; Food Donations, Sales Tax and Employer Retention Credit, Strafford CPE
- March 2022 – Updates on Ohio and Federal Relief Opportunities, Ohio Restaurant Association Legal Center Live
- September 2022 – Buy, Lease, Sell: A Restaurant Guide to Real Estate, Mid America Restaurant Expo
- September 2022 – Five Star Industry Trends and Year End Update, Mid America Restaurant Expo
- September 2022 – Succession Planning, Wendy’s Convention 2022